Pages

Tuesday

My Green Monster - The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine

What a difference a trainer makes ! Wow !


After having problems with my current magnetic trainer, I decided it was time to make the step up to something better. But what ? I looked at the CycleOps jet fluid but the quality wasn't there. I looked at the Tackx Sartori, and Fortius systems, but those require small bank loans. So there was only one option for me, and it was the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Kurt Kinetic really have a winner here and I truly believe they are the industry standard for fluid trainers.

I recently picked up a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and couldn't be happier riding indoors again. I am astonished at the smoothness and feel. I did not believe it until I actually rode it. I have been using the cheaper Magnetic trainers for many years now (Nashbar, Minoura) and had no idea the dramatic improvement in technology in this "fluid trainer group." I went from the days "wind" to "magnetic" and did not think the "fluid" trainers would be this good. But the Kinetic Road Machine hugely exceeded my expectations in setup, build, and smoothness overall. Its frame design is so robust, so well built, and extremely smooth. Riding out of the saddle, you have no lateral movement whatsover.
It is a completely different feel from the magnetic ones. The folks at Kinetic have truly raised the bar.

After reading the instructions and a bit of tinkering, I think I have the perfect tension set up . This was a lot easier than I thought. Overall, I do find it slightly more difficult to pedal. Why ? The resistance increases the harder you pedal, ensuring a harder workout the harder you work. On the mag trainer I was spinning 52 x 14 @ 90rpms and could easily get into a “tempo” zone. But with the Kurt Kinetic, I can barely keep tempo in a 52 x 17 ???? Its been a humbling experience to say the least. The mag trainer gave me a false sense of my condition which I’m not happy about. My Spinerval efforts are completely off and are so much harder to get through now. So the only negative thing I have to say is that I feel as if I'm starting my winter base mile training all over again : -( This trainer literally has me working harder all the way through my session. Its like having Troy Jacobson standing right over me. I literally have to teach my legs how to turn over big gears again.

The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is by far the best "cycling investment" I've made to date. I absolutely love it and actually look forward to my indoor training sessions now. I can't believe I wasted all this time on magnetic trainers, thinking I was able to push higher gears. I've made the move to fluid and am never going back. I have to admit though, my magnetic trainer was quieter. Wind and magnetic trainers are not even close to this kind of quality, build, and road feel. Its literally like NIGHT and DAY. I guarantee you will be blown away by the difference. I honestly, did not think it would be this dramatic, but it is. Kurt Kinetic have really raised the bar with indoor trainers. I can't wait for my next one! Minnesota gave us the greatest cyclist of our time in Greg LeMond and now they give us Kurt Kinetic, the greatest indoor trainer of our time. I guarantee you, once you go Fluid, you won't go back !

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3/01/2011

    Simon! you are amazing! thanks for your rave review. Of course I agree with EVERY word! Please let me know if there is ever anything we can do to improve the indoor ride. we are always open to improvement and constructive criticism.
    Cheers
    Pam Sayler
    North American Sales Manager
    Kinetic
    www.kurtkinetic.com
    facebook: Kurt Kinetic Cycling
    email: pam.sayler@kurt.com

    ReplyDelete